timdever

Zwave Kwikset and Tuxedo Touch

11 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble adding a Kwikset deadbolt set to my Tuxedo Touch zwave controller. The instructions in the Kwikset manual say to push a button to add a device to the controller, and that same button to remove the device from the controller. When it is adding the light is supposed to be yellow for 5 seconds and removing it is supposed to be red for 5 seconds. Everytime I push it though it just comes up red, and it has never been added to a zwave controller before. Anyone with this particular setup that had this problem? Tried reseating the zwave card in the device, and removing the battery (which I am assuming resets the device) as well as powercycling my Tuxedo Touch. A thermostat added to the Tuxedo Touch fine so I know it's working as a controller.

Welcome to the journey this has been a good place to gather information and share experiences about the Z-Wave Technology.

How close is the door lock to the controller when you are trying to add it? Kwikset and Yale locks need to be right next to the controller while adding to be able to negotiate the security class when adding the lock. If you have been trying to add the lock in place - remove the inside of the lock where the battery pack resides - bring to to the controller - delete or remove the device the try adding it again. Should add correctly.

Welcome to the journey this has been a good place to gather information and share experiences about the Z-Wave Technology.

How close is the door lock to the controller when you are trying to add it? Kwikset and Yale locks need to be right next to the controller while adding to be able to negotiate the security class when adding the lock. If you have been trying to add the lock in place - remove the inside of the lock where the battery pack resides - bring to to the controller - delete or remove the device the try adding it again. Should add correctly.

I didn't know that, they never mentioned it in the manual anywhere. I will do that tonight and update later.

Thanks

That didn't seem to work, the light on the device is still red. Is there a way to factory default the device so I could try again? I didn't see that in the manual anywhere either.

Is the Light blinking or solid? Did you delete or remove the device the try adding it again?

Put the Tuxedo in exclude or remove mode

Press Button B on the lock (upper Left corner small white button). This will remove any trace of network from the lock.

Put the Tuxedo include mode

Press Button B on the lock (upper Left corner small white button). This will add the lock to the Tuxedo

I couldn't delete or remove the device from the the Tuxedo since it never showed up there. The very first time I tried the light stayed solid red for 5 seconds on the lock as if it was already connected to another controller and was trying to exclude itself.

I'll try running through exclusion mode on both devices just to be sure.

EDIT: You were right.

The device wasn't shown in the zwave list, but I went into exclusion mode on my Tuxedo Touch and then hit the B button on the Kwikset, and it went through removing the device from my Tuxedo. Then I went into inclusion mode on Tuxedo and hit the button on my Kwikset and it added it, this time showing it in the zwave list.

Things that were different than what the directions showed for those interested:

You are warned to follow all the previous instructions fully before doing the zwave stuff. This would have the zwave device mounted on the door and most likely away from your controller, and is wrong. You need to pair it to zwave controller with it right next to it (as kaldoon said above).

The instructions indicate that the light will be yellow when in inclusion mode, mine was red.

The instructions indicate the light is under and to the right of the D button, mine was inbetween the B and D button but closer to the B button.

Items involved:

Honeywell Tuxedo Touch

Kwikset Home Connect 910TRL ZW 15 SMT

Sorry for the long edit, but I work in IT and hate finding a forum topic with the same problem I am having and no solution.

OK-- so I am a bit new to the TUX, and this may be a stupid question, but how do I put the TUX into exclude mode?

My lock was registered to my old TUX and it had to be replaced, and now I am trying to get it on the new one, but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I did a reset on the lock, but it still won't join the Z-Wave network.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

I couldn't delete or remove the device from the the Tuxedo since it never showed up there. The very first time I tried the light stayed solid red for 5 seconds on the lock as if it was already connected to another controller and was trying to exclude itself.

I'll try running through exclusion mode on both devices just to be sure.

EDIT: You were right.
The device wasn't shown in the zwave list, but I went into exclusion mode on my Tuxedo Touch and then hit the B button on the Kwikset, and it went through removing the device from my Tuxedo. Then I went into inclusion mode on Tuxedo and hit the button on my Kwikset and it added it, this time showing it in the zwave list.

Things that were different than what the directions showed for those interested:
You are warned to follow all the previous instructions fully before doing the zwave stuff. This would have the zwave device mounted on the door and most likely away from your controller, and is wrong. You need to pair it to zwave controller with it right next to it (as kaldoon said above).
The instructions indicate that the light will be yellow when in inclusion mode, mine was red.
The instructions indicate the light is under and to the right of the D button, mine was inbetween the B and D button but closer to the B button.

Items involved:
Honeywell Tuxedo Touch
Kwikset Home Connect 910TRL ZW 15 SMT

Sorry for the long edit, but I work in IT and hate finding a forum topic with the same problem I am having and no solution.

On 5/15/2013 at 8:49 PM, timdever said:

I'm having trouble adding a Kwikset deadbolt set to my Tuxedo Touch zwave controller. The instructions in the Kwikset manual say to push a button to add a device to the controller, and that same button to remove the device from the controller. When it is adding the light is supposed to be yellow for 5 seconds and removing it is supposed to be red for 5 seconds. Everytime I push it though it just comes up red, and it has never been added to a zwave controller before. Anyone with this particular setup that had this problem? Tried reseating the zwave card in the device, and removing the battery (which I am assuming resets the device) as well as powercycling my Tuxedo Touch. A thermostat added to the Tuxedo Touch fine so I know it's working as a controller.

Good morning , 

i have a new tuxedo touch and i bought a kwikset 916 z wave. the lock works in the door non issue 

i see the red light went the lock is opened or closed .

on the tuxedo screen i go to automation 

then hit add device 

then the a button on the lock the red light goes on 

nothing happens 

ANY IDEAS ??

Paul G

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge Kwikset and Yale locks need to be right next to the controller while adding to be able to negotiate the security class when adding the lock. If you have been trying to add the lock in place - remove the inside of the lock where the battery pack resides, bring to to the controller delete or remove the device the try adding it again.

printed circuit board assembly

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge Kwikset and Yale locks need to be right next to the controller while adding to be able to negotiate the security class when adding the lock. If you have been trying to add the lock in place - remove the inside of the lock where the battery pack resides, bring to to the controller ,delete or remove the device the try adding it again.