otaku

RCS TZ43 Thermostat

28 posts in this topic

Does anybody out there have this thermostat?

I just installed it this morning. I set the time, date, and day. I then set-up schedules on the thermostat (it's not hooked up to my Z-wave network yet). But I noticed my schedule isn't "taking." The thermostat is in run mode, but the setpoints are some random setpoints and not the ones from my schedule.

I have double checked all the dates, times, and the option in the maintenance menu that overrides scheduling (it's turned off).

Does anyone have first hand experience with this thermostat?

Thanks.

There's a used one for sale over on the Homeseer message boards.

I've been looking at the user's manual that was just posted on the FCC site.

That's a nice-looking unit. I may finally give in an get a Z-Wave thermostat.

There's a used one for sale over on the Homeseer message boards.

I've been looking at the user's manual that was just posted on the FCC site.

That's a nice-looking unit. I may finally give in an get a Z-Wave thermostat.

It is a great thermostat, even by itself without the Z-wave. It's a bit tricky to get used to at first, but it does everything I could want it to.

i setup/used a tz40 and the schedules are setup directly in the unit itself and have to be saved as it handles mon-sun kind of scheduling locally.

i setup/used a tz40 and the schedules are setup directly in the unit itself and have to be saved as it handles mon-sun kind of scheduling locally.

Are the extra features of the RCS tz43 really worth the extra money compared to the low cost of the Wayne Dalton or the Intermatic?

i spoke to rcs awhile back for about an hour regarding the pricing issue and i can't remember too much at this point but i believe the wiring was 1 issue. heat pump support on certain wiring was another.

i agree that the pricing is way out of line when compared to the wayne dalton or better yet the intermatic if they are still around. their view was that they had a specific target market for functions that the lower cost models could not handle (from a physical perspective, not a zwave one).

The TZ43 Thermostat is a fully programmable thermostat as stated previously - if one wanted to setup a schedule for the thermostat at the thermostat you can do that(days of the week and temperatures etc) - the Wayne-Dalton and Intermatic thermostats are considered dumb thermostats(set the temperature and go) big difference for some people. I have a CA8900 and TZ16 running at my place - the TZ43 was not out when I installed the TZ16.

Since I am running automation software for control I didn't see the need for a programmable thermostat as I have setup my schedules in the software and control the environment from the controller and not at the thermostat - again personal preference. :mrgreen:

Looks like Schlage is going to use a version of the RCS TZ43. And Brand it "Trane"post-1036-1241448423_thumb.jpg.

I wonder what extra features it will have. From what I know it already has most of the Zwave features already.

The TZ43 uses the Setback schedule device class. Does any controller out there support this.

Maybe Vera?

I think the Danfoss termostat uses setback and Vera supports Danfoss.

Maybe Vera?

I think the Danfoss termostat uses setback and Vera supports Danfoss.

I looked at the Zwave device classes on the Vera Wikki and I don't think they support it yet. I bet you lunch they will in the near future!

I have a couple question on the TZ43 Thermostat and the Z-Wave Thermostat Device Class...

Q1: I cannot find a specification for the Z-Wave Thermostat Device Class. Is there a public spec available?

Q2: What commands can be done with the TZ43 through Z-Wave? Does it support all the same command features as the TR40?

Thanks.

I have a couple question on the TZ43 Thermostat and the Z-Wave Thermostat Device Class...

Q1: I cannot find a specification for the Z-Wave Thermostat Device Class. Is there a public spec available?

Q2: What commands can be done with the TZ43 through Z-Wave? Does it support all the same command features as the TR40?

Thanks.

The TR40 is no longer in production here is the manual: http://www.smarthome-products.com/products...TR40-Manual.pdf and here is the link for the TZ43 Thermostat Manual. What information are you looking for and what are you looking to control in the Thermostat.

The TR40 is no longer in production here is the manual: http://www.smarthome-products.com/products...TR40-Manual.pdf and here is the link for the TZ43 Thermostat Manual. What information are you looking for and what are you looking to control in the Thermostat.

Thanks for the links, but I am hoping to get more technical information about what commands can be sent to the TZ43 through z-wave? I found a document describing the commands available for the TR40, are the same commands available for the TZ43. Things like reading remote temperatures, controlling the Fan, Setting the Heat temperature limit, the Cold temperature limit, setting the minimum on and off time, etc...

I am looking for a description of the Thermostat Device Class specifications for Z-Wave. Do you have to buy an SDK to get this information? It seems like this should be more public at least a high level of what commands are possible and allowed within the pre-defined interface.

Ultimately, I am wondering if the Schlage thermostat has the same functionality as the TZ43. The Schlage device is about $65 cheaper. BTW, Lowes has one of the Schlage thermostats in stock here in Phoenix for just under $150.

The Trane has scheduling, it is just disabled by default. Press Menu and when the Menu comes up, hold the two center buttons down for a second or two. Once the installer menu comes up, more settings become available. To enable the schedule select System Settings and then set Sched Enable to Y by pressing the +. Once that is done, you can access the schedules through the regular menu.

edit - Forgot to mention, you can also Enable and Disable both the Schedule and Display Lock via Z-Wave (not with Schlage LiNK).

The Trane has scheduling, it is just disabled by default. Press Menu and when the Menu comes up, hold the two center buttons down for a second or two. Once the installer menu comes up, more settings become available. To enable the schedule select System Settings and then set Sched Enable to Y by pressing the +. Once that is done, you can access the schedules through the regular menu.

edit - Forgot to mention, you can also Enable and Disable both the Schedule and Display Lock via Z-Wave (not with Schlage LiNK).

Thanks I would have been nice if they put those instructions in the package. I looked at the online manual and it does appear to refrence the setback is possible through a hidden menu, although there are no instructions on how to actually configure this.

They provided the all the expert settings but left out how to set a schedule.

Go figure.

Actually at 150.00 for a Trane Zwave set back is a pretty good deal then. The sister TZ-43 is guite a bit more and allows for remote sensors.

So if you want Setback and don't need remote sensors. I'd go with the Trane!

Nice catch ASI

Hey I looked at the TZ-43 Maunal .

Do you know if the progamming instructions are the same to set schedules in the Trane?

As we have never been able to get a sample from RCS to test, I do not know if the same keystrokes will work however I would guess that they would since they are nearly identical.

As we have never been able to get a sample from RCS to test, I do not know if the same keystrokes will work however I would guess that they would since they are nearly identical.

do you know how many schedules can be set at the thermostat.?

do you know how many schedules can be set at the thermostat.?

The Schedules Screen gives you the option of setting a custom setback schedule or to load one of two preset schedules.

Menu Options

• Heat and Cool: You can change the individual day/hour and setpoints for the Heating and Cooling schedule by selecting this menu item.

• Preset: Comfort: This is a preset schedule with mild setbacks. Select this menu item to load the Comfort schedule into the thermostat.

• Preset: Energy Star: This is a preset schedule with deeper setbacks. Select this menu item to load the Energy Star schedule into the thermostat.

The Schedules Screen gives you the option of setting a custom setback schedule or to load one of two preset schedules.

Menu Options

• Heat and Cool: You can change the individual day/hour and setpoints for the Heating and Cooling schedule by selecting this menu item.

• Preset: Comfort: This is a preset schedule with mild setbacks. Select this menu item to load the Comfort schedule into the thermostat.

• Preset: Energy Star: This is a preset schedule with deeper setbacks. Select this menu item to load the Energy Star schedule into the thermostat.

Do you know if that is the same for the Trane version.

Do you know if that is the same for the Trane version.

That out of the Trane Manual.

Hi,

Very useful forum, thanks folks. Newbie to Z-Wave here.

I just installed a Schlagelink system with Trane TZEMT043AB32MAA at our 2nd home in Tahoe City.

I use it to remotely control the room temperature above freezing. The Schlage thermostats lowest heating temp (max setpoint) is limited to only 55 degrees F or 12C (this is also documented in the Trane manual) but I want to be able to go as low as 45F or at least 50F.

I checked out the manual link to the TZ43 that was posted in this thread and they state a heat setpoint range: 50F to 90F (4C-32C), which would be sufficient. Any idea why the Schlage set point is higher and how it could be lowered? Any patches or tricks?

Strangely 50F would not be the equivalent of 4C but rather 10C, does that mean that they allow a lower setpoint in C mode than in F mode?

If there is no solution I might consider using a different Thermostat with a lower max heat setpoint. It does not need to have all the functionality of the Trane but needs to work with the Schlagelink system. Any suggestions for a thermostat that would do?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Welcome to the Journey - this has been a great place to get information and share experience. As far as what you are trying to accomplish with your vacation property take a look at the CA8900 Thermostat by Intermatic - it is on the Compatibility List at Schlage Link. According to the Specs the CA8900 Tstat can be set as low as 35 degrees. I have been using one of these thermostats since it came out - it has been rock solid.

Welcome to the Journey - this has been a great place to get information and share experience. As far as what you are trying to accomplish with your vacation property take a look at the CA8900 Thermostat by Intermatic - it is on the Compatibility List at Schlage Link. According to the Specs the CA8900 Tstat can be set as low as 35 degrees. I have been using one of these thermostats since it came out - it has been rock solid.

I finally replaced the Trane Thermostat with your suggested ca8900 but the problem persists. On the thermostat I can manually lower the min temperature down to 35F but online, schlagelink still won't allow changing it any lower than 55F. To me this does not make any sense as I am probably not the only one who just wants to protect their home from freezing at lower temps than 55F. Any idea or resources how to overcome the schlagelink restriction of min 55F heating temperature?

thanks,

uli

Thanks I would have been nice if they put those instructions in the package. I looked at the online manual and it does appear to refrence the setback is possible through a hidden menu, although there are no instructions on how to actually configure this.

They provided the all the expert settings but left out how to set a schedule.

Go figure.

Actually at 150.00 for a Trane Zwave set back is a pretty good deal then. The sister TZ-43 is guite a bit more and allows for remote sensors.

So if you want Setback and don't need remote sensors. I'd go with the Trane!

Nice catch ASI

btw, i noticed that trane has the relays positioned right in the path where the cables should run.. so if your HVAC cables are a little thick like mine.. you wont be able to close the front cover for the trane thermostat after mounting.. Id go with RCS :)