MichaelK

play audio file?

6 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a way to play an audio file (just a short .mp3 or .wav). Is there a z-wave device that can do that?

The details:

I have the Aeotec Doorbell, which I use for its main function and for general notifications. I need something like that in another part of my house. Yes, I could buy another Aeotec Doorbell -- but, I'm hoping that there is another solution. I figure that there should be just a simple device that I can transfer the audio file/s to (probably USB), and control with my HomeTroller.

23 hours ago, ITguy said:

Is that a Homeseer Hometroller?

Yes. Specifically, a Zee S2.

OK.  You can do what you want, but not with z-wave.  Z-wave is a control protocol only. 

If your Zee is close enough to where you want the sound played, you could use a bluetooth speaker and have Homeseer "speak" the sound file to that speaker when a HS event detects that the doorbell rings.  Another choice would be to use a Homeseer HSTouch client in that location and have HS speak to just that client when the doorbell rings.  There are probably more choices, but those two came immediately to mind.  You might want to post over on the Homeseer forum for ideas from the real HS "gurus"!

Be aware that I'm not looking for another doorbell; this will be triggered by another event.

I can't use the Zee directly (too far away, and it would be impractical to run a wire, or even do this wireless).

I considered posting to the HS forum, but didn't see a suitable category -- everything is HS-specific.

And, yes, I considered using HSTouch to do this (which would mean setting up a smartphone in that location, which would also be impractical). Unless there's some other device? Actually, I think that using HSTouch might be 'kludgy'; I have Tasker, which would be a lot neater.

I haven't used Tasker, but I think it would do what you want by using it on an inexpensive Android tablet [doesn't require a smartphone!]

Check out this post from the Homeseer Tasker thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=1279962&postcount=1

If that doesn't do it for you, I would suggest posting over in the Tasker thread at the Homeseer forum.