Perjar

Scene activation in Qubino vs Fibaro dimmer

1 post in this topic

Dear forum,

I am planinng to uplift my home with some modern home automation features and have after some studying come to the conclusion that I should base my solution in z-wave. So far so good!

Where I live, Sweden, two competitors seem to be dominating the market for actuators, Fibaro and Qubino. Or at least these are the two that most often show up in search results.

I am leaning towards getting a Fibaro Home Center 2 as a controller and it can manage any type of z-wave device (I think)

When it comes to dimmers I am trying to understand the differences and benefits with the products from Qubino and Fibaro. 

The Fibaro dimmer2 seems to integrate very well with the controller from them which is to be expected I suppose. On the other hand - the Fibaro dimmer module is quite big compared to the one from Qubino and the smallness is a big selling point in favor of the Qubino. Also, the Qubino can handle smaller loads out of the box which is also a big plus.

The Qubino however does not seem to be very well documented, Where Fibaro has loads of documents explaining all the features and parameters, Qubino is clearly lacking.

One such blank area is how to use the second (or third) switch connected to the dimmer. To the Fibaro you can connect two switches: s1 and s2, while Qubino can take three: l1, l2 and l3. For Fibaro, the use of and s2 is well documented and it can trigger scenes in various ways. The controller can pick up scene-ID from the dimmer and these are pre-defined. 26 means single click on s2, 24 means double click on s2, 16 means single click on s1 etc etc.  All very well described by Fibaro.

For Qubino however I am not sure how it works, I have understood form posts here and there on various forums that l2 and l3 can be used to trigger events but the concept of "scene" is never mentioned. Does that mean that Qubino does not support scenes? Or how does it work?

I like the small form factor of the Qubino and that it can dim small loads but the product does not seem to be as easy to use the one from Fibaro. Or perhaps I just haven't grasped all the z-wave concepts yet and therefore am not connecting the dots properly. I am still at the beginning of the learning curve.

So I am turning to the forum for some advice on the matter.

Thanks

Per