jaffab

Moving from X10 - is this the right direction

1 post in this topic

Help me board!!!!!

My x10 devices are dieing, so its time to replace the system... but what with.  It would appear that z-wave is the way to go?  Yes?

Currently I have....
1) A X10 SC28X/SC9000 security control system (not connected to phone line) by Marmiteck
2) Several PIR connected to the SC9000
3) 3 door entry dectors

4) 5 or 6 x10 plug control systems
5) 2 or 3 AW12 micro switch modules for light switch controls
6) A CMU12 connected to a home server running a custom (Visual Studio) bit of software which connects the whole lot together, does house automation, connects to Alexa for voice control

But - the alarm key fobs are all going faulty, the SC9000 screen is dieing, Neither can be replaced because they are no longer produced, and I fear my love/gate relationship with X10 is finally at an end.

So.... what system is out there that I can replace that lot with?   

What is the flavour of the month here in the UK, which will cover the alarm system, device automation, light automation, and I can write my own software for to automate the whole lot?

And if its more reliable than X10, that would be good as well.

Advice would be appreciated!

As I understand it, its all about the hub?   But, which one do I need - there is a major range of prices out there - not sure if they will do what I need, or can I code them using the existing firmware, or do I have to code them myself to do what I need?

So typical things my home automation does (which I would like to replicate)...

1) Say to Alexa "We are going to bed now" and it turns off 5 devices downstairs
2) Set a mode to holiday mode - and it randomly turns on or off 3 or 4 lights between a set time range
3) If the alarm is set or unset, it sends me an email
4) If a door is opened, it chimes
5) If nobody is in the lounge at night (for a few hours), then it powers down downstairs
6) 2 or 3 lights come on at sunset - currently set by a table of hard coded sundown times by day of the year
7) Where sundown is before 5pm, then it turns on the outside light at 5:30pm

8) Powers down the house (all devices) after 10pm and powers them all up at 8am (depending on the day of the week)

For my x10 setup, I did this using some Visual Studio c# code- do I need to do the same with v-wave, or will v-wave hub software allow me to do all of this?

Thanks for any advice.