Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thezman

Schlage link bridge and web portal 5 months later

12 posts in this topic

Well it's 5 months since the release of the Schlage system in January and still no support for Thermostats and sensors of any type.

They have now provided a web page that will display all your installed Zwave devices.

My thermostat shows as a unsupported device. I have tried every Zwave certified thermostat and sensor and none work.

This is weird.

Take a look at my screen shot.

post-1036-1242351116_thumb.jpg

I guess this is good news for devices like Vera as they support and work thermostats very well. They even support sensors even the new Fortrezz Water/Freeze sensor.

Seems like Schlage is at it again!

They have added support for thermostats with one Major problem.

Only the Schlage thermostat from their susidiary Trane includes alerts and Messaging.

Thats right folks.

You need to get a Trane thermostat in order to get alerts.

How is that Seemless interoperability amongst brands?

They still do not support sensors and a lot of other zwave devices.

What gives

I'm guessing you know they are now selling the thermostat and camera.

My question is- is there a remote that will work to cut the lights on and off with this system. I call customer support and they were real wishy washy about what 3rd party devices would work.

This gui looks really nice. I'm wondering if there is an rs232 interface for using the Schlage door locks that came out recently? I know the Vizia RF RZC0P rs232 controller (z-wave) I use does not mention control of door locks at all in the protocol guide, but does support thermostats. Also, are the door locks motorized or do they only give you lock status?

This gui looks really nice. I'm wondering if there is an rs232 interface for using the Schlage door locks that came out recently? I know the Vizia RF RZC0P rs232 controller (z-wave) I use does not mention control of door locks at all in the protocol guide, but does support thermostats. Also, are the door locks motorized or do they only give you lock status?

There will probably not be a RS232 interface for a while if ever - first the VRC0P doesn't use a standard RS232 protocol and cannot translate the Beaming Technology. The Schlage Link Locks are not motorized if you want motorized locks you will have to look at B&D / KwikSet Locks which are due out at the end of the year.

There will probably not be a RS232 interface for a while if ever - first the VRC0P doesn't use a standard RS232 protocol and cannot translate the Beaming Technology. The Schlage Link Locks are not motorized if you want motorized locks you will have to look at B&D / KwikSet Locks which are due out at the end of the year.

Are you able to tell me, if the Schlage locks are not motorized and the bolt is open. How can you remotely lock the door? Does a spring throw the bolt back in the locked position? I assume the unlock works by releasing a pin and allowing you to manually turn the dial in the unlock position to open the deadbolt. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. I'm debating whether to purchase a Vera and the Schlage locks, or wait for the Kwikset locks (which are guaranteed to be far pricier).

**UPDATE** I finally got someone at Schlage. The deadbolt cannot be locked remotely, talk about false advertising. What the system does is mechanically release the manual dial and allow a human to lock it. A lot of good that does if you're on the road.

Are you able to tell me, if the Schlage locks are not motorized and the bolt is open. How can you remotely lock the door? Does a spring throw the bolt back in the locked position? I assume the unlock works by releasing a pin and allowing you to manually turn the dial in the unlock position to open the deadbolt. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. I'm debating whether to purchase a Vera and the Schlage locks, or wait for the Kwikset locks (which are guaranteed to be far pricier).

**UPDATE** I finally got someone at Schlage. The deadbolt cannot be locked remotely, talk about false advertising. What the system does is mechanically release the manual dial and allow a human to lock it. A lot of good that does if you're on the road.

well the non deadbolt lock does remotely unlock and lock. Of course it will not close the door for you.

The B&D will have a motorized deadbolt. You will be able to lock it remotly providing the door is closed and lined up with the strike.

well the non deadbolt lock does remotely unlock and lock. Of course it will not close the door for you.

The B&D will have a motorized deadbolt. You will be able to lock it remotly providing the door is closed and lined up with the strike.

I usually have no problem remember to close the door :), however, I would like the ability to verify it is locked and lock it if it's not, such as after my cleaning lady or other contractor leaves.

I am aware that the Kwikset lock will be motorized - I have the fingerprint version of the deadbolt now and it works great, however it is on the ZigBee standard and there is no timeframe published for a Z-Wave compatible release. Has anyone heard of a target date for a Z-Wave version of the Kwikset/B&D lock.

Hopefully the price will be less than the published $419 when the Z-Wave hits the streets.

I purchased the SchlageLink system and have been very happy with it. I have it on a second home in Vermont, and installed the deadbolts on two doors. It was pretty simple, however I was replacing existing Schlage deadbolts, so the fit was perfect. Their iPhone app also works well. I'm now able to track who is coming and going, or give temporary access to workmen, cable people, etc. without having to have someone there to let them in. I get a text message when some enters. I'm really pleased with the system.

I also installed a Trane thermostat, and to be honest it took me a while to get it working. It requires 3 wires, the two regular switch wires, plus a dedicated ground. It always has to have 24VAC provided to it, which it gets from one of the other 2 wires. Unfortunately, my heating system was wired: +24 through the valve then the thermostat back to the transformer low side. This meant that when the thermostat switch closed, to open the valve (system is a multi-zone FHW system), there was no power to the thermostat, the switch reopened, and the thermostat rebooted. Because of the 5 minute internal delay, this went on indefinitely. Amusing, but not helpful. Fixing this required rewiring the valve and thermostat, so the switch was before the valve. It wasn't difficult, but sorting out the problem was time consuming. The upside is, I got an education in how my heating system works. The Schlage people really didn't understand the problem, and passed me off to a Trane engineer who was very helpful.

Despite the problems, I am very pleased with the thermostat. I can remotely monitor the temperature in my house, always a source of concern in cold weather; it will run a more complex program than the typical weekend/weekday thermostat; and if necessary, I can bump up the temperature before I arrive.

I'm less than thrilled with the monthly fee for their server, but also recognize that you get what you pay for. Their site also journals every time the door is locked or unlocked, regardless of whether key or code is used. Bottom line is I'm happy with the system, and feel a bit more secure knowing who is coming and going.

I'm surprised there is a monthly fee. I can easily monitor and record that sort of thing with Motorola Premise (which is a completely free) via the web, but I still need an rs-232 option that can talk to the Schlage locks to easily do this.

I saw this usb option which may work well for me, but I don't have any experience playing with virtual com ports. I'd assume virtual com port means the USB stick will show up as a serial port in Premise... I'm going to have to research the protocol for this adapter, but I think it could be the solution to not paying the monthly fee by using almost any home automation program to monitor your locks ;) Have any of you guys used this neat little usb stick yet? How does the virtual com port work?

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-STICK-S2...bs-P746C44.aspx

A few of the features:

Low cost

Simplify Z-Wave network installation (inclusion of devices)

Supports Z-Wave "Beaming" Technology for use with Z-Wave lock devices.

908.42mhz radio transceiver (Z-Wave technology)

USB specification 2.0 compliant, full speed (12 Mbps)

Virtual COM port drivers for Linux, Windows XP, Server 2003/2000, Vista and Windows 7

Integrated EEPROM with worldwide unique Z-Wave network ID

Based on Zensys 5.02 protocol (40kbps bandwidth)

300ft Z-Wave RF range (outdoor)

Z-Wave Static controller, Z-Seer fully supported

Can be a primary or secondary Z-Wave controller

Requires software or controller that supports the Z-Wave security protocol

The specs lead to Question #2: will this usb stick work with my Leviton Vizia RF+ hand held controller? I'd probably only use it for the schlage LiNK locks and non-vizia rf dimmers/switches and use the RZC0P for vizia rf dimmers switches since it supports 2 way feedback (ie no polling required for vizia rf lights).

PS: If anyone is interested in Premise, see this link: http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Premise

123 has been working on an awesome free RZC0P/VRC0P rs232 driver that supports z-wave thermostats, motions sensors, scenes and groups! It's still in Beta but seems to work good for me so far: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...75&start=75

I am surprised no one has relied to you. The Aeon labs stick had some issues in the early version but now it has the ability for the user to flash the firmware.

Vera from Micasaverde has been using the stick for some time as well as I. It seems pretty stable and works with the Security class that is needed for the Schlage lock. However it is not capable of inclusion of the secure devices/nodes by itself it needs to be connected to a processor or PC that can process the inclusion of such secure devices. Homeseer and Vera can do this. I don't know about your sofware.

Good luck !

The problem with the Z-Stick was Version 1 - the Aeon Labs Z-Stick on the market now are Version 2 and firmware upgradeable. Here are the Instructions from Aeon Labs. The Z-Stick can function as a primary or secondary controller.

A COM port redirector(Virtual Com Port) is a specialized software (often including device driver and user application) that includes the underlying network software necessary to access networked device servers that provide remote serial devices or modems. The Z-Stick-S2 has worked fine with with both HomeSeer and Vera.