rj0329

Trouble enrolling wireless Z-Wave Cameras (Schlage WCE100)

18 posts in this topic

This is my first posting so I hope I can get my message entered and submitted correctly. I installed the Schlage Link system and Z-Wave devices (light modules, door locks, video cameras and thermostat) in my home over a year ago and was very pleased with the technology and the flexibility and personal control I have over our home environment. :biggrin: In fact the Z-Wave thermostat automated scheduling has saved on our heating bills. However, the only thing lacking was an automation security service for intrusion and fire. So about 4 months ago we purchased and installed the new ADT Pulse system. At the time of contract I was told the conversion of all our devices was very likely and in fact most was done within minutes of completing the Pulse system (Concord 4) installation. All that is except for the cameras - Schlage Link WCE100. The ADT installers were quite baffled by not being able to enroll the cameras. After all, they are the very same manufactured camera (SerComm) as sold by ADT under a different model number - RC8021. However, the enrollment routine requires entering a "server name" which is on the ADT camera's product label. However, the label on my Schlage Link cameras is a MAC address. The MAC address does not work for enrolling in the ADT Pulse system. I've contacted ADT technical support but they have failed to understand and resolve the problem. Does anyone know if this requires a firmware upgrade to the camera or if there is any other solution? :twisted:

post-2581-1312397675_thumb.jpg

post-2581-1312397823_thumb.jpg

From my experience on these cameras I'll say this.... Schlage cameras are intended to be only used with the their own system setup. And when you use them in that manner they are fine. But for any other installation you will need to have different cameras or be able to flash the firmware in them to whatever it is you need. So, if you need a camera from a different company you will probably need to buy theirs instead and sell the others on Ebay or similar unless you are into hacking and I haven't found a way to hack into the Schlage cameras but I have found a way to reflash the firmware with a posted one from the web. See my other post on that in this section. It does work well. I'm running the reflashed camera at our snowmobile clubhouse and it works pretty well. See the page at www.lhsc.net and look at the North Q camera page. Also, if you look at the bottom of the main page you will see some snapshots. Those are the motion based detection camera pictures that it takes and ftp uploads to the server. You can detect also for just an area on the camera. These cameras reflashed are actually quite good value for the money.

I personally would like to see some more firmware code reflashes available for these cameras from different vendors to see how they implement them. Not proprietary firmware mind you but real useable f/w like the North Q reflash does on the Schlage product.

Steve

www.lhsc.net (Laurel Highlands Snowmobile Club - on the Mountain in Western Pa 2500ft elevation)

Link to the reflash page and procedure etc... -

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?...p;postcount=216

From my experience on these cameras I'll say this.... Schlage cameras are intended to be only used with the their own system setup. And when you use them in that manner they are fine. But for any other installation you will need to have different cameras or be able to flash the firmware in them to whatever it is you need. So, if you need a camera from a different company you will probably need to buy theirs instead and sell the others on Ebay or similar unless you are into hacking and I haven't found a way to hack into the Schlage cameras but I have found a way to reflash the firmware with a posted one from the web. See my other post on that in this section. It does work well. I'm running the reflashed camera at our snowmobile clubhouse and it works pretty well. See the page at www.lhsc.net and look at the North Q camera page. Also, if you look at the bottom of the main page you will see some snapshots. Those are the motion based detection camera pictures that it takes and ftp uploads to the server. You can detect also for just an area on the camera. These cameras reflashed are actually quite good value for the money.

I personally would like to see some more firmware code reflashes available for these cameras from different vendors to see how they implement them. Not proprietary firmware mind you but real useable f/w like the North Q reflash does on the Schlage product.

Steve

www.lhsc.net (Laurel Highlands Snowmobile Club - on the Mountain in Western Pa 2500ft elevation)

Link to the reflash page and procedure etc... -

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?...p;postcount=216

Thank you Stevem5215. Wouldn't I need to reflash each of my 6 cameras from 6 unique images. Otherwise they would conflict with each on my hub. I was unable to review your reflash post. It was reported as no longer available or never posted. I am not sure what the process is for reflashing the f/w.

Thank you Stevem5215. Wouldn't I need to reflash each of my 6 cameras from 6 unique images. Otherwise they would conflict with each on my hub. I was unable to review your reflash post. It was reported as no longer available or never posted. I am not sure what the process is for reflashing the f/w.

No - you are updating the firmware of the camera so the same firmware image will work fine - the Schlage cameras will only work on the Link system unless updated with a different firmware

You'll need the following files to upgrade the firmware:

Here is the application you'll use to flash the firmware on the device:

http://www.everbesthk.com/8-downl...207_XP.zip

This is the compatible firmware to flash onto the unit:

http://www.northq.com/download/90...6.1009.zip

Install the upgrade_207_xp.zip application. You'll need to set it to run in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode and to run as administrator on Windows 7. The app will not work with 64-bit Win7.

Connect the included network cable to the device, then insert a paperclip into the reset hole on the side of the unit. While holding down the reset button, plug in the power adapter. This will put the device into a firmware upgrade mode. The power light should flash while the network light should stay solid.

Open the Upgrade Utility app you installed earlier, select your current network adapter, the click browse targets. If the application finds the device, click on the Files button then navigate to where you saved the firmware file. Once you're ready, click on upgrade. It should wipe the EEPROM, write the new firmware, then verify that the image has been written successfully. The process should take about 5 minutes or so. When it's finished, the device will reboot and once the power and network lights are solid, you should be good to go.

It will pull an ip from your router/dhcp server, so you may need to check to see what IP it has been assigned.

The default user name is administrator and the password field should be blank.

I fixed my link. The software must automatically shorten them when you try to repost it from another page.

Link still works ok.

As for the reflash, remember this. You are reflashing it to another brand of camera basically. In this case the North Q camera. If you are looking for the firmware for your compatible security system you will have to try and contact them to see if they'll give it out. Otherwise you are SOL probably. And would have to buy the new compatible ones.

Steve

I fixed my link. The software must automatically shorten them when you try to repost it from another page.

Link still works ok.

As for the reflash, remember this. You are reflashing it to another brand of camera basically. In this case the North Q camera. If you are looking for the firmware for your compatible security system you will have to try and contact them to see if they'll give it out. Otherwise you are SOL probably. And would have to buy the new compatible ones.

Steve

Ok. Thanks. Then let me ask you this. I have purchased one camera from ADT. Is it possible to copy or flash my other (Schlage) cameras with the firmware from the ADT camera? That would at least get me the same firmware. ADT system will not work with IP addressable camera. One other thing. Assuming I get the firmware loaded on the non-ADT cameras, the enrollment procedure requires entering a server name, which I believe is unquie for each camera. The process is shown below. If this "server name", which is listed on the back of each camera and comes preloaded by ADT, than I might be SOL anyway.

Locate the Server Name on the back of the camera and enter it below.

Camera Name: (customer define)

Server Name: (from camera label.

Is the camera your got from ADT the same as the Schlage Cameras? If not - you can not use the firmware from the ADT Camera to update the Schlage Cameras. This is part of the problem using devices with proprietary firmware.

Is the camera your got from ADT the same as the Schlage Cameras? If not - you can not use the firmware from the ADT Camera to update the Schlage Cameras. This is part of the problem using devices with proprietary firmware.

Yes, it is the very same manufacturer and camera from SerComm. Different model numbers. ADT is RC8021. Schlage is WCW100. Both wireless. Everything is identical externally.

The firmware only gets you the basic image loaded onto the camera. They still have some kind of method of configuring them for the names after the f/w has been flashed. I doubt they'd give up that information along with the firmware but you never know. Ask them and see what they say. My guess is that they don't want their customers flashing other people's cameras and setting up them themselves. Although it would be nice if they allowed us to do that. Otherwise it's like I said. Sell them on Ebay and buy the right ones that are compatible with your new system.

I'll offer you $35 each for the wireless cams if you want to sell them ! I could use a couple more of them after I'd flash them to the North Q. They are a pretty good camera IMO actually.

Steve

Yes, it is the very same manufacturer and camera from SerComm. Different model numbers. ADT is RC8021. Schlage is WCW100. Both wireless. Everything is identical externally.

My guess is that ADT did the same thing that Schlage does use a proprietary firmware and I doubt the would be willing to give it to you. Once you update the firmware on the Schlage cameras they will no longer work with the Link system - same if you did that to an ADT Camera on ADT system

I am looking for the firmware for RC8021-ADT.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could make it available.

Thanks.

Welcome to the journey this has been a good place to gather information and share experiences about the Z-Wave Technology.

Read this thread throughly and see the links posted above (post 5) :cool:

Anyone happen to have the NorthQ firmware file discussed in this thread?

This is the compatible firmware to flash onto the unit:

Link to the Firmware:

http://www.northq.com/download/9006/FW-NQ-9006.1009.zip

northq.com has been down for like a week, and I have a couple Schlage cameras I need to flash to get working with my new Vera.

I can provide a place for you to upload it, and I'll seed it for others as a torrent.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like "Brighton Guy" also posted his request on HomeSeer's forum back in July of 2013. A fellow named "Steve Q" on that forum finally responded in December of 2013. He said that he had the file, and he gave his email address: stevequinlan2 at yahoo dot com