11 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:27 AM

i purchased a harmony remote 890 several months ago. i didn't purchase it for the z-wave support, but when i saw it had it i thought it would be cool to control my ceiling fan in my TV watching area with the harmony. what i can't find, then or now, is a controller for a ceiling fan. it seems an obvious and simple product given that there are light dimmers, etc.

am i missing something? is there something out there that would control a ceiling fan?

thanks,

john

#2 Ailton

Ailton

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (john @ Sep 6 2007, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there something out there that would control a ceiling fan?
john

Hi!

I think I saw something at Harmony (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100072901). I just did not see any Z-Wave solution. What could also be a solution would be to install your fan to a Z-Wave lamp module. You just need to pay attention to the wattage supported by it.

Regards,
Ailton

#3 jams001

jams001

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

Most problems with ceiling fans that have a controller are usually due to the controller. They have a solid state switch that switches the 120 volts line voltage on and off 60 times a second. That's a tough job. Anyway, they have a really high rate of failure
this good idea thanks for any information about this topic!!!

#4 jams001

jams001

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (john @ Sep 6 2007, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i purchased a harmony remote 890 several months ago. i didn't purchase it for the z-wave support, but when i saw it had it i thought it would be cool to control my ceiling fan in my TV watching area with the harmony. what i can't find, then or now, is a controller for a ceiling fan. it seems an obvious and simple product given that there are light dimmers, etc.

am i missing something? is there something out there that would control a ceiling fan?

thanks,

john

Most problems with ceiling fans that have a controller are usually due to the controller. They have a solid state switch that switches the 120 volts line voltage on and off 60 times a second. That's a tough job. Anyway, they have a really high rate of failure
The light bulb blowing probably caused a short circuit for an instant and damaged the controller. Surges in current or voltage will do that. The controller probably needs to be replaced. The remote is probably OK.
If it was and you have already tried replacing the batteries in the remote. You will have to get a new one. This system uses the same circuit as a wall controller with the added complexity of a little computer, it's power circuit and a radio frequency circuit. I'm sure it's susceptible to the same high rate of failure as described above for wall controllers.
What is it, it is a transformer mounted inside the fan canopy the remote works it, all on the same circuit. When dimming the lights and fan speed alot it wares down the unit. Some people on wall dimmers, instead of turning it off completely they will just dim it down. This creates heat and causes the unit to fail. When not in use turn remote off if equiped with an on and off feature, this will prolong the life of a dimmer as well as a fan control.

Fanimation

#5 ASIHome

ASIHome

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Vendors
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

See this thread for info: http://zwaveworld.co...p?showtopic=203

#6 jam002

jam002

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

thanks for that really kind of topic
Fanimation Ceiling Fans

#7 blue

blue

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hunter All-Fan ceiling fan controls are universal - just like the name says - and work on all brands of ceiling fans. Each control is designed for easy, and you will find here...

#8 WSeverino

WSeverino

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

I use the LEVRZM10-1LX in my Z-Wave network to control my fan's. When te temperature goes above 73 degrees in the room it automatically turns on.
My ZWave Network: Vera, Cooper Handheld Remote, (15) ACT ZRR150's, (18) ACT ZDW120's, (2) ACT - ZRW113's, (2) Wayne Dalton WDTC-20's, (1) Leviton VRCS1-1LX, (2) Leviton VRF01-LX, and (4) Cooper RF9542-Z

Opps and the mack daddy Schlage Link DeadBolt!

#9 JasonB

JasonB

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (blue @ Mar 7 2009, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hunter All-Fan ceiling fan controls are universal - just like the name says - and work on all brands of ceiling fans. Each control is designed for easy, and you will find here...

So, can I get zwave to control my hunter fan yet?

#10 kaldoon

kaldoon

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

Leviton has a Z-Wave Fan controller the VRF01-1LX works great icon_mrgreen.gif

#11 JasonB

JasonB

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (kaldoon @ Mar 14 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leviton has a Z-Wave Fan controller the VRF01-1LX works great icon_mrgreen.gif

That looks cool, but do I have to replace the electronics in my current Hunter fan for this to work???

#12 kaldoon

kaldoon

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Where is the fan powered from - if there is a switch on the wall besides your remote - then you would replace the the switch(control) on the wall withe VRF01 and you would be all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users