22 replies to this topic

#1 nishalp

nishalp

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

I finally got my ZWave Lighting Setup at last after 3 weeks of nightmares... Sales person could not get me the right products that would work together.. Anyway, that is done now... I have a RZI06-1LX Dimmer Switch on my main Living room light. Then I have a RZCZ1-1LX across the room that is associated with the RZI06-1LX Dimmer. So it is just a remote switch that is controlling the master dimmer over RF. All working great... I have the Leviton Programmer Remote and that is how I setup the association between the 2. Now I have the Harmony Remote.. Well now I find out it wants to be primary remote and when programming a the dimmer, it stops the existing programming done from the Leviton Remote from working...

So here is my problem. I can get the Harmony to control the main dimmer, but then the association I setup for the remote swtich is gone... Am I doing something wrong? How can I get it to work. Seems Logitech Harmony re-registers the device...

Any help would be great... Thanks.

#2 Rob

Rob

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

best bet would be to use a 890 pro which can be a secondary remote. you can program the association with the leviton and then copy the info over to the 890 pro.

#3 nishalp

nishalp

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Rob @ Feb 9 2008, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
best bet would be to use a 890 pro which can be a secondary remote. you can program the association with the leviton and then copy the info over to the 890 pro.

Thanks Rob. I got my 890 Pro. But now I can not figure out for the life of me how to get it to copy the programming from the Leviton to the Harmony and make the Harmony the secondary.. Any help please would be greatly appreciated...

#4 steve

steve

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (nishalp @ Feb 12 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Rob. I got my 890 Pro. But now I can not figure out for the life of me how to get it to copy the programming from the Leviton to the Harmony and make the Harmony the secondary.. Any help please would be greatly appreciated...

890 Pro supports being a secondary but only if the primary is another 890 Pro. You could make the 890 Pro the primary and the Leviton secondary and you might be able to get what you want done. I wouldn't want to do this with a large network due to limitations in the 890 Pro zwave support but for a small system it may work OK.

#5 David Powell

David Powell

Contributing Editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Home Automation, Electronics

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (steve @ Feb 13 2008, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
890 Pro supports being a secondary but only if the primary is another 890 Pro. You could make the 890 Pro the primary and the Leviton secondary and you might be able to get what you want done. I wouldn't want to do this with a large network due to limitations in the 890 Pro zwave support but for a small system it may work OK.

Oh man that sucks. This is the first I heard of this but I totally believe it. The words I would like to say I don't think I should. Remotes that make empty claims like this are what gives z-wave a bad name. A remote that "supports" secondary controllers should be able to accept a transfer from any primary remote.

#6 nishalp

nishalp

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (steve @ Feb 12 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. After lots of research last night , I kinda figured that also.. Well I guess I need to change my switch setup. Should only cost me about $10 bucks for another light switch and hopefully this is all gone.. Will let you know.. Thanks for the help.

#7 nishalp

nishalp

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:18 AM

So here is the latest and I hope this help others.. I have spent 1 month and tons of money on so may options and finally got it to work...

1. Harmony 890 Pro Working as Primary only. Only works Secondary with another Harmony 890 Remote. Can not learn from other remotes.
2. Harmony 890 Pro does not work with Leviton 3 Way Swtich Slaves that only communicate via RF..

So for example, if you have a Light that you want to control from a third location. Most 3 ways have wires connected between the two but if you dont, you can buy a slave switch that just needs power wires to power the switch. After that it tells the master swtich to turn on and off or dim via RF Z Wave commands only. What this means is you have to program that switch to talk to the master swtich using the Leviton Programmer. Harmony does not support programming this. And since Harmony can not learn from another remote and needs to be primary, this setup wont work with Harmony. It will only work with 3 Way Setups based on normal wired switches.

3. Harmony Remote Help in General sucks. There is no user documentation that can help you out... Good luck and configuring it with Z Wave lighting is confusing at start until you get it to work once.

All in all, I am up and running but could have worked with the normal 890. Did not need the Pro. So unless you need the ability to have 2 Harmony Remote work on the same network, dont get a 890 Pro.. The only reason to get a 890 Pro is if you answer yes to anyof the following:

1. I need the ability to have 2 Harmony RF Remotes (890, 890 Pro , not any other company remote) where one is primary and the other is secondary so they can both control the same network.
2. I want the ablity to have a single remote that can catagorize and work in multiple rooms. Meaning, I want to setup a group of activites for my bedroom and another group for my living room. 890 does not support this. Only 890 Pro.
3. I need to have the ability to add more than 1 RF Extender or have multiple remote controls controlling a single extender.
4. I need the ability to control movies and pictures on my PC with the remote (Using the optional RF Wireless PC Controller)
5. I need the ability to have more than 15 lighting controls.
6. I need 2 extra little buttons for sound and picture so that the small buttons are even smaller.
7. I just need to have it cause it is black and cool...

If you dont need any of the above, then the 890 is all you need. Nothing else...

#8 mrk874

mrk874

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

Hi nishalp,

It looks like you're saying I could get the H890 (non PRO) to act as primary and transfer the configuration to a secondary non harmony remote?

If you know how to do this, please let me know. I have read this isn't possible...

Thanks!

#9 Rob

Rob

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

the non pro only acts as a primary and does not replicate any info at all for a secondary whereas the pro will let you replicate to other pros...

#10 Blade

Blade

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Rob @ Apr 1 2008, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the non pro only acts as a primary and does not replicate any info at all for a secondary whereas the pro will let you replicate to other pros...

Oh boy... I have been feeling your pain regarding the 890 pro issues for several months now.

I have about 30 leviton light switches installed now. When I first purchased two 890 pros I only had about 24 installed, and they did great at controlling the switches in multiple rooms as of January. In February I installed 5 more switches and wne about adding them to the Harmony. That is when all the shnit hit the fan... So, I call Harmony and spend literally hours on the phone with them trying to figure out why my new switches are not recognized, and why my whole config is no longer responding correctly...

It turns out that Harmony engineers decided to limit the number of switches to only EIGHT for each system. They call the remote a 'whole home solution' yet figure that each home only has 8 devices? HOW NUTZ!

I was promised this would be fixed by March, and here it is near the end of April and its still not fixed. If I was a lawyer I would be talking class action suit against them for false advertising.

For now, I would highly recommend AGAINST any Harmony products unless you only want to control lighting and ONLY in one room.

If Universal Remote would only get in the Zwave game, I would be sooooo psyched.

#11 Rob

Rob

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:45 AM

the harmony w1000 is worse. can do z-wave to extenders but that's it. no direct control of z-wave devices at all. i hear the monster avl300 is more open though. i will have to pick one up and try it out. also, zen-sys is putting IR into their chips next and panasonic bought into their venture recently so hopefully it is only a matter of time before some good a/v z-wave remotes come to market.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Vendors
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

If you can add in any secondary controller using the Harmony 890 Pro, then just do this:

[Requirements: ThinkStick and ThinkEssentials Professional Edition]
[Disclaimer: I work at ControlThink icon_smile.gif]

1. Add the PC as your secondary controller (Settings tab > Join another network)
2. Upgrade the PC to "primary" controller (Settings tab > Upgrade to Primary Role (advanced))

Now, technically you need to make sure that you ONLY use the PC as primary from now on. If you need to remove a device that the Harmony knows about then you'll need to remove it with the Harmony and then "remove broken device" on the PC. Additionally, any devices you add on the PC will not be known by the Harmony--so set up what the Harmony needs _first_.

Chris
Chris Walker
Secret Labs LLC

#13 Blade

Blade

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Chris Walker @ Apr 23 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can add in any secondary controller using the Harmony 890 Pro, then just do this:

1. Add the PC as your secondary controller (Settings tab > Join another network)
2. Upgrade the PC to "primary" controller (Settings tab > Upgrade to Primary Role (advanced))

Now, technically you need to make sure that you ONLY use the PC as primary from now on. If you need to remove a device that the Harmony knows about then you'll need to remove it with the Harmony and then "remove broken device" on the PC. Additionally, any devices you add on the PC will not be known by the Harmony--so set up what the Harmony needs _first_.

Chris

Chris,

You CAN add a second controller with the 890 PRO as the primary, as Ive done so with both a second 890 pro as well as a HA07 controller. The problem is that because of the bullcrud that the Harmony engineers have pulled in February, you can only control 8 lights with the 890 PRO now, so if you want a whole home solution, there are no Harmony products that can accomplish this. So, unfortunately, your idea above is only useful for someone who has not tried to update thier network since the end of January, or for someone who only has 8 lights or less.

My temporary solution is to use the 890 pro for the 6 lights in my basement home theatre via the 890 pro, and the rest of the house on a separate network via the HA07 as the primary, with some additional HA07s as secondaries. Far less than ideal IMHO.

I've recently ordered ThinkEssentials PRO and the USB, so I am looking forward to seeing how I can better make use of the things that I have already set up.

#14 Rob

Rob

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Blade,

I believe what Chris is also hinting at is that you can primary shift the master controller to his software thereby having the ability to add new devices above and beyond the 8 device limit of the pro. the pro can have it's 8 devices but the thinkessentials software can add more devices to be controlled.

if this is true, the question now becomes can i replicate the additional devices to other secondary controllers like ha07's? if so then this is a decent workaround to the limitations for now.

QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 25 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris,

You CAN add a second controller with the 890 PRO as the primary, as Ive done so with both a second 890 pro as well as a HA07 controller. The problem is that because of the bullcrud that the Harmony engineers have pulled in February, you can only control 8 lights with the 890 PRO now, so if you want a whole home solution, there are no Harmony products that can accomplish this. So, unfortunately, your idea above is only useful for someone who has not tried to update thier network since the end of January, or for someone who only has 8 lights or less.

My temporary solution is to use the 890 pro for the 6 lights in my basement home theatre via the 890 pro, and the rest of the house on a separate network via the HA07 as the primary, with some additional HA07s as secondaries. Far less than ideal IMHO.

I've recently ordered ThinkEssentials PRO and the USB, so I am looking forward to seeing how I can better make use of the things that I have already set up.

#15 JasonB

JasonB

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (Rob @ Apr 22 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the harmony w1000 is worse. can do z-wave to extenders but that's it. no direct control of z-wave devices at all. i hear the monster avl300 is more open though. i will have to pick one up and try it out. also, zen-sys is putting IR into their chips next and panasonic bought into their venture recently so hopefully it is only a matter of time before some good a/v z-wave remotes come to market.

I just bought a zwave light module, so do this mean if I have a 890, and DON'T have the extender hooked up, that I can't use it????

#16 kaldoon

kaldoon

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (JasonB @ Mar 11 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought a zwave light module, so do this mean if I have a 890, and DON'T have the extender hooked up, that I can't use it????

Yes - you should be able to use the Harmony 890 if it is going to be your master controller - the 890 will control the z-wave light module and other z-wave devices.

#17 HarleyFrank

HarleyFrank

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

I am not crazy about the Harmony 890, got it a while back and didn't realize it has to be the primary controller so I now have 2 separate Z-Wave networks in my house. I use the Harmony 890 to control my home theater room for which it works great, but cannot control from the rest of my network.

Oh well... also didn't realize that the 890 (non pro) couldn't replicate the contoller to another icon_sad.gif GRRR!! If it actually paid full price for it I would be mad but picked up a refurb for $110 on Amazon.

#18 Cajun

Cajun

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

New to z-wave well somewhat....

6 months ago I got a harmony 890 and z wave dimmer switch. All was good and works fine. Recently I got some new media room recliner seating and added a raised section for the back row seats. I had a great idea of adding lighting around the step and naturally wanting that z wave controlled as well. Project turned out great and the blue rope lighting is hidden in the trim of the step is a great addition to the media room.

Then came the challenge..... when I added the lamp module for the step I got the home starter kit that include the Ha07 controller and 2 lamp modules. I had a great idea of also adding the lamp module for the rope light and the wall dimmer to the HA07 controller mainly so I could turn these off from downstairs along with several of the upstairs lights (once I add add zwave switches to those) the kids tend to leave on. My search got me to this point and I now see that's not possible. (having the 890 and a HA07 control the same zwave switch) I am fine with the 890 controlling just the dimmer and rope lights in the media room and using the HA07 controller for everything else. Not ideal but workable. (at least it will keep the kids from dragging the 890 remote around the house).

The downside is I will probably now buy another controller for upstairs

My question is will I have any issues with this setup? 2 zwave systems in close proximity?

Also I am assuming the answer is no but will I get any of the mesh benefit of the components that are on different systems?

TIA for any thoughts.

#19 gallwapa

gallwapa

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

I bought an 890 a few months ago refurb on amazon b/c of the zwave functionality - I didn't have any but I have been looking into it on and off for 2 years. Last month I got a lamp module (ty certain zwave site with free lamp module with 890) and a switch...well, I just placed an order for the starter kit with 2 lamp modules, a controller, as well as a switch and 2 dimmer switches. In reading through the material about the 890 I'm a bit stuck as to what I'll need to do. It looks like from other posts the 890 won't work with any secondary controllers, and the 890 can only be a primary controller - does that about sum it up? That seems like a shame, especially considering I want to at some point get a control think stick with their SDK and make an MCML app for windows media center 7...

#20 fsullivan3

fsullivan3

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Chris Walker @ Apr 23 2008, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris

Chris,

I have a Monster AVL-300, and plan on purchasing TE and the stick. From what I've read, the Pro version only incorporates signal strength/diagnostic type functionality. Does your standard version have the "upgrade to primary controller" function?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)