32 replies to this topic

#1 frankksj

frankksj

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I just purchased the Schlage Link from amazon.com, got it yesterday, and followed the instructions exactly. Watch out. It's a trainwreck. Here's the rundown step by step:

1. After pairing the bridge to my schlage lock and lamp module, I went online to register. Before you can do ANYTHING, before you can even test that the box is working, you must give them a credit card which they charge up front and enroll you in a monthly subscription. You can't do anything without paying them monthly, and there's no trial period or anything to see that the device works before you enroll. And they told me on the phone this subscription enrollment is non-refundable even if the device doesn't work and I return it to Amazon. So, the bottom line is, I had to start paying them up front just to find out that the product is totally broken.

2. When you try to pay them, the web browser (firefox) gives warnings that Schlage's online security certificate is not properly setup. The only way to proceed is to click "exceptions", even though Firefox warns you that you should never do this and no legitimate company will ask you to. Screen shot attached. If Schlage doesn't even have the technical skills to secure their online credit card page and keep my credit card safe, something every mom and pop etailer can do, how on earth do they expect me to trust that their lock entry system is safe? Clearly they don't trust themselves since, the first step of the online process, requires you to accept terms and conditions that waive any responsibility on their part, even if they are negligent.

3. During the setup I chose to have them send the cell phone app to my Blackberry. The cell phone app, also, does not have a security certificate and the Blackberry warns you that it's unsigned and untrusted.

4. Right now, you cannot use the Schlage link with ANY cameras or thermostats or sensors or scene controllers or handheld remotes or any of the other hundreds of ZWaves devices out there, except basic lamp modules. Schlage confirmed this when I called their support line. They said that in a few months they will sell a Schlage brand camera and it will work with their camera, but not with 3rd party IP cameras. So my Panasonic IP cameras will not work at all and I have to buy all new Schlage cameras; which, btw, don't appear to have pan/tilt/audio and other stuff like the Panasonic.

5. At this point I've resigned that this bridge will, basically, just allow me to control the Schlage lock, and for everything else I will need another gateway. But, wait, it gets worse. The web interface at Schlage's site says my bridge is disconnected. But that's wrong. It ---IS--- connected. And I can login to my dhcp server and see that it's getting an IP. So it is plugged in and working. There is NOTHING in Schlage's documentation to explain this. The green light on the bridge is blinking 3 times. But there is nothing to indicate if this is normal, or an error. So I call Schlage's customer support line. I get bounced around between low level operators who know nothing more than to read trouble shooting guides. They ask stupid questions that prove they don't know what they're talking about. They ask me to try removing/reinserting the ethernet cable. At this point the bridge locks up; all the lights stop working. We need to remove the battery to get it working again. Then we need to exclude and pair again the lock and lamp module. Still nothing. They tell me to get a longer ethernet cable (mine is 6') so I can move the Schlage bridge further from my network router. Huh??? It's not a wi-fi device, it's hardwired. What's that about? They can't give me a technical explanation, just saying it's on their trouble shooting guide that the Schlage should not be too close to the router. After an hour on the phone, they say that an engineer will need to look into it and get back to me. They can't give me a timetable. And they don't have any answer about getting back the money they charged me up front for their subscription.

Bottom line: the lock works as a lock. You can lock/unlock it with a key and with the pin pad. But the bridge is a joke. It doesn't work at all. And it's impossible to troubleshoot because, although the bridge gets an IP address, it doesn't run a web server or telnet or anything else to let you log into the bridge itself and see what's wrong. All you can do is login through schlage.com and see that "the bridge is disconnected". Therefore, without a way to talk to the bridge locally on my network, and with the bridge unable to connect to schalge's online service, I seriously doubt they'll ever be able to get it working and imagine it's just a black brick. After all, if the Schlage bridge is too buggy to get a network connection and find the Schlage server, how will it ever upgrade, since there's no way for me to talk to it over my local network.

The part that pisses me off the most is that I had to pay up front for their stupid subscription just to find out this thing doesn't work and can't get my money back! So watch out!

Attached Files

#2 kaldoon

kaldoon

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

I would call my credit card company and dispute the transaction(subscription) - as the service does not work described. The credit card company should remove the charge

#3 homecontrol

homecontrol

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

Frank ,
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know why you started a new thread about the Schlage link. There are already 3 or 4 topics already.
Another poster stated already his disappoinments and that there were features or devices advertised that are not currently working.
I hear your pain and I too hope that the features will be working soon.
I will be holding off a purchase of the lock until the bridge is fully operational.
If you keep your system let us know when the support is offered.

Thanks

#4 steve

steve

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

There are no reviews of this puppy on amazon. Why not post a review over there? Here, you're preaching to the zwave faithful.

From your posting it looks like the issues you have are fundamental and a few more months of soak time is not going to get them fixed (i.e. Schlage's insistance on total control of everything and their apparent inability to support what they sell).

I hope somebody hacks the lock protocol and make this thing usable without the Schlage bridge and broken software.

Steveg

#5 WSeverino

WSeverino

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

I bought the Schlage Link deadbolt....I am satisfied with the deadbolt with the exception I wish the dead bolt was motorized. I didn't buy the bridge because the guys over at Micasaverde are adding support for the Schlage Link product. They announced this weekend that they will release the code later this week! The positive here is there is no monthly fee!
My ZWave Network: Vera, Cooper Handheld Remote, (15) ACT ZRR150's, (18) ACT ZDW120's, (2) ACT - ZRW113's, (2) Wayne Dalton WDTC-20's, (1) Leviton VRCS1-1LX, (2) Leviton VRF01-LX, and (4) Cooper RF9542-Z

Opps and the mack daddy Schlage Link DeadBolt!

#6 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:32 AM

[I hope somebody hacks the lock protocol and make this thing usable without the Schlage bridge and broken software.

Steveg
[/quote]

There should be no reason to hack the protocol it is supposed to be just the new 128 bit security lock class that Zensys already has.
And would that not be illegal to do?

But I wonder about this schlage ad:

Attached File  schlage_bridge.jpg   180.02KB   21 downloads

#7 mcspeed

mcspeed

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (frankksj @ Feb 6 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just purchased the Schlage Link from amazon.com, got it yesterday, and followed the instructions exactly. Watch out. It's a trainwreck. Here's the rundown step by step:

1. After pairing the bridge to my schlage lock and lamp module, I went online to register. Before you can do ANYTHING, before you can even test that the box is working, you must give them a credit card which they charge up front and enroll you in a monthly subscription. You can't do anything without paying them monthly, and there's no trial period or anything to see that the device works before you enroll. And they told me on the phone this subscription enrollment is non-refundable even if the device doesn't work and I return it to Amazon. So, the bottom line is, I had to start paying them up front just to find out that the product is totally broken.

2. When you try to pay them, the web browser (firefox) gives warnings that Schlage's online security certificate is not properly setup. The only way to proceed is to click "exceptions", even though Firefox warns you that you should never do this and no legitimate company will ask you to. Screen shot attached. If Schlage doesn't even have the technical skills to secure their online credit card page and keep my credit card safe, something every mom and pop etailer can do, how on earth do they expect me to trust that their lock entry system is safe? Clearly they don't trust themselves since, the first step of the online process, requires you to accept terms and conditions that waive any responsibility on their part, even if they are negligent.

3. During the setup I chose to have them send the cell phone app to my Blackberry. The cell phone app, also, does not have a security certificate and the Blackberry warns you that it's unsigned and untrusted.

4. Right now, you cannot use the Schlage link with ANY cameras or thermostats or sensors or scene controllers or handheld remotes or any of the other hundreds of ZWaves devices out there, except basic lamp modules. Schlage confirmed this when I called their support line. They said that in a few months they will sell a Schlage brand camera and it will work with their camera, but not with 3rd party IP cameras. So my Panasonic IP cameras will not work at all and I have to buy all new Schlage cameras; which, btw, don't appear to have pan/tilt/audio and other stuff like the Panasonic.

5. At this point I've resigned that this bridge will, basically, just allow me to control the Schlage lock, and for everything else I will need another gateway. But, wait, it gets worse. The web interface at Schlage's site says my bridge is disconnected. But that's wrong. It ---IS--- connected. And I can login to my dhcp server and see that it's getting an IP. So it is plugged in and working. There is NOTHING in Schlage's documentation to explain this. The green light on the bridge is blinking 3 times. But there is nothing to indicate if this is normal, or an error. So I call Schlage's customer support line. I get bounced around between low level operators who know nothing more than to read trouble shooting guides. They ask stupid questions that prove they don't know what they're talking about. They ask me to try removing/reinserting the ethernet cable. At this point the bridge locks up; all the lights stop working. We need to remove the battery to get it working again. Then we need to exclude and pair again the lock and lamp module. Still nothing. They tell me to get a longer ethernet cable (mine is 6') so I can move the Schlage bridge further from my network router. Huh??? It's not a wi-fi device, it's hardwired. What's that about? They can't give me a technical explanation, just saying it's on their trouble shooting guide that the Schlage should not be too close to the router. After an hour on the phone, they say that an engineer will need to look into it and get back to me. They can't give me a timetable. And they don't have any answer about getting back the money they charged me up front for their subscription.

Bottom line: the lock works as a lock. You can lock/unlock it with a key and with the pin pad. But the bridge is a joke. It doesn't work at all. And it's impossible to troubleshoot because, although the bridge gets an IP address, it doesn't run a web server or telnet or anything else to let you log into the bridge itself and see what's wrong. All you can do is login through schlage.com and see that "the bridge is disconnected". Therefore, without a way to talk to the bridge locally on my network, and with the bridge unable to connect to schalge's online service, I seriously doubt they'll ever be able to get it working and imagine it's just a black brick. After all, if the Schlage bridge is too buggy to get a network connection and find the Schlage server, how will it ever upgrade, since there's no way for me to talk to it over my local network.

The part that pisses me off the most is that I had to pay up front for their stupid subscription just to find out this thing doesn't work and can't get my money back! So watch out!

Dude,
Don't be held hostage by Schllage. Simply dispute with your credit card company and you will get your money back. CC companies will likely have other customers who also were ripped off and they will credit you back. I have been successful numerous times when the seller thought they had the upper hand.....WRONG.

McSpeed

#8 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (mcspeed @ Feb 10 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude,
Don't be held hostage by Schllage. Simply dispute with your credit card company and you will get your money back. CC companies will likely have other customers who also were ripped off and they will credit you back. I have been successful numerous times when the seller thought they had the upper hand.....WRONG.

McSpeed

Great News

MicasaVerde now has support for the door lock.
You can remotely unlock and lock
and change the codes

and of course you can use your thermostat and other zwave branded devices.
Thanks
Micasa

#9 SJS

SJS

Newb

• Vendors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:47 AM

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

The Schlage LiNK system offers the first and only z-wave controlled lock on the market today, and it was designed with an intense focus on security. All communications with the lock are encrypted to ensure security of the home, and communications with our web application are encrypted as well. We are using a security certificate signed by Equifax to ensure the security of our credit card transactions. Equifax is the same trusted source that is used for on-line banking and credit reporting nationwide.

Our focus has been to make this system easy for everyone to install and use. That is why we are rolling out device support in a deliberate manner. Many devices available today can already be integrated into the Schlage LiNK system, and we are rapidly working to add support for additional devices. In fact, support for thermostats will be added in the very near future. We are committed to open device support and want to ensure that those devices are easy for everyone to install and manage.

For Blackberry users, we have been working closely with Research In Motion (RIM) to ensure their communications with our application are secure. A security certificate is in place which will prevent a security warning from popping up. Communications with all devices has always been secure and will continue to be secure.

The web and mobile applications are an integral part of our service to provide ease of access from remote locations. Customers must have high-speed internet access, and that access must by connected to the Schlage LiNK bridge in order for the service to function correctly. This remote access does require a monthly subscription, and we clearly indicate on the box, and on the Amazon website, that a subscription is required.

Until now, home control and automation have been primarily the domain of high-end installers or people with a high-degree of technical knowledge. At Schlage, we are focused on providing our customer with the peace of mind that comes with convenience and control. Our service will always be designed with security and ease of operation in mind.

Product Manager
Schlage LiNK

#10 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (SJS @ Feb 18 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your comments and feedback.

The Schlage LiNK system offers the first and only z-wave controlled lock on the market today, and it was designed with an intense focus on security. All communications with the lock are encrypted to ensure security of the home, and communications with our web application are encrypted as well. We are using a security certificate signed by Equifax to ensure the security of our credit card transactions. Equifax is the same trusted source that is used for on-line banking and credit reporting nationwide.

Our focus has been to make this system easy for everyone to install and use. That is why we are rolling out device support in a deliberate manner. Many devices available today can already be integrated into the Schlage LiNK system, and we are rapidly working to add support for additional devices. In fact, support for thermostats will be added in the very near future. We are committed to open device support and want to ensure that those devices are easy for everyone to install and manage.

For Blackberry users, we have been working closely with Research In Motion (RIM) to ensure their communications with our application are secure. A security certificate is in place which will prevent a security warning from popping up. Communications with all devices has always been secure and will continue to be secure.

The web and mobile applications are an integral part of our service to provide ease of access from remote locations. Customers must have high-speed internet access, and that access must by connected to the Schlage LiNK bridge in order for the service to function correctly. This remote access does require a monthly subscription, and we clearly indicate on the box, and on the Amazon website, that a subscription is required.

Until now, home control and automation have been primarily the domain of high-end installers or people with a high-degree of technical knowledge. At Schlage, we are focused on providing our customer with the peace of mind that comes with convenience and control. Our service will always be designed with security and ease of operation in mind.

Product Manager
Schlage LiNK

So Mr Product Manager
Steven Samolinski

Zman Here,
I have a few questions that have gone unanswered.
I'd like to know 1 thing, Where is this support for Thermostats , Sensors and cameras the Schalge advertisement speak of?
It is now 2 months later and nothing. Yet we continue to pay the monthly fee in full.
Don't you think there is a problem with this?
Don't you think that some would consider releasing a product not as advertised could be bit dishonest?

Open Support SJS WROTE:
"We are committed to open device support and want to ensure that those devices are easy for everyone to install and manage"
Steve What does this mean?
Schlage is not open about what device types the Schlage LiNK web protal supports nor do they disclose what actual products are known to work!

Why not say up front what "types" of Zwave devices your product currently supports? Even better, to provide a list of devices that currently work. Many companies provide such documentation. This would be the most honest thing to do I think they call it transparency.
It's ok to say upfront " We do this currently and we will that in 4 months"! But to say or imply that you can use cameras and all Zwave devices including Thermostats and sensors today! boy !
Are you going to discount the service fee to reflect what has not been provided?

Is the company afraid that we might not have made the purchase if the advertising reflected what it actually does?
I don't get it.
You have quite a bit to explain here.

Oh and I need to add this.
You claim such security for your web portal Yea! So how come I can back page my browser and I'm back into the Schlage Link web portal. I can do this several days later as long as the window was not closed. I even managed to get back in if I clicked on a page in the Browser history. This is not supposed to happen these days this is old hat. I would not be claiming security like a bank. I'd like to know what bank web portal that does not time out after a few minutes.

We welcome your reply to our concerns. please no sales talk or spin.
Screen shot of the ads and web portal
Attached File  prt_scr_bridge_Mar_27_09.jpg   301.25KB   6 downloads

#11 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hey SJS
no reply?
We know you have seen this post. You logged in and checked my profile!
Schlage what you need to do from here on out is be upfront about your products.
The foremost reason is to keep the Zwave technology alive and to prosper.
It is of No value and even a detriment to Zwave to mislead the public. The more people get burned by non-disclosure the fewer people will adopt the technology.

#12 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Knock knock..................

Hellooooooooooooo...........

Schlage are you there!

#13 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (thezman @ Apr 8 2009, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knock knock..................

Hellooooooooooooo...........

Schlage are you there!

Here is a Screen shot to ponder.

Attached File  schlage_lowes_ad_april_17_2009.jpg   431.54KB   22 downloads

If you look the Lowe's ad it says :
" Control other Z-Wave enabled home automation devices such as lighting or thermostat control"

And the Schalge link site says:
"Support for thermostats is coming soon. As a Schlage LiNK subscriber, you will be the first to know when we add support for thermostats and other new devices."

coming soon are you serious. Schalge has made this comment for 3 months now!
schlage is ripping people off we are being charged for services not rendered. Last time I checked this may be against the law in my state. I also heard this "may" be Fraud and Deceit!

#14 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

anyone look at the ads at:
www.consumer.schlage.com/link ?
Have you played the Videos?

I just don't get it. How can they make such claims

Have you seen the ads a Lowes.com

Another Screen shot of ads

Attached File  Schlage_link_screensot_video_from_Lowes_4_15_09.jpg   361.72KB   3 downloads

#15 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

Attached File  april_22_lowes.jpg   485.3KB   6 downloadsHere's a screen shot from today April 22 2009

What's up with Schlage and Lowes.
Both websites still claim control of thermostats and Cameras.
Does anyone know of these devices being available ( RETAIL) and actually working with the Schalge Link Web Portal.

Hey Guys
Am I missing something Here?

http://www.lowes.com...tt=schalge link

www.consumer.schlage.com/link look at the videos.

www.amazon.com

Here's a screen shot from today1

#16 cenovi

cenovi

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

If anyone out there gets this remote system working please let me know. Also, has anyone seen the "http://micasaverde.com" website? it claims you can use the same functionality minus the monthly fee. I'm new to this, just spent the past couple of hours researching a remote lock system I can control over the web for my vacation home.

Any success stories please keep me posted. I plan on purchasing the system in the near future. Thanks.

#17 WSeverino

WSeverino

Z-Wave Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (cenovi @ Apr 22 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone out there gets this remote system working please let me know. Also, has anyone seen the "http://micasaverde.com" website? it claims you can use the same functionality minus the monthly fee. I'm new to this, just spent the past couple of hours researching a remote lock system I can control over the web for my vacation home.

Any success stories please keep me posted. I plan on purchasing the system in the near future. Thanks.

I use Vera with the Schlage link. Works like a champ. No problems here!
My ZWave Network: Vera, Cooper Handheld Remote, (15) ACT ZRR150's, (18) ACT ZDW120's, (2) ACT - ZRW113's, (2) Wayne Dalton WDTC-20's, (1) Leviton VRCS1-1LX, (2) Leviton VRF01-LX, and (4) Cooper RF9542-Z

Opps and the mack daddy Schlage Link DeadBolt!

#18 thezman

thezman

Z-Wave Guru

• Z-Wave Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (WSeverino @ Apr 22 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use Vera with the Schlage link. Works like a champ. No problems here!

Sev
Were are talking about what schlage is doing. How many people do you think never visit this site an purchase a Schalge link system. Then they get burned and Schlage could care Less.
so because you like Vera that gives Schlage the right to do what they are doing.

Do you think this is ok!

#19 msheehan

msheehan

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

The Schlagelink system is a complete failure. Obviously, the thought of troubleshooting never occurred to them. I have three cameras at a second home, and they work -- at best -- 10 percent of the time. Otherwise, they are offline and completely useless. However, they're not as useless as the tech support specialists who cannot answer the most basic of questions. Schlage should take the whole concept, send it back to the lab, and bring it out when it's good and ready. Do not, under any circumstance, purchase this product.

#20 MyHomeServerDotCom

MyHomeServerDotCom

Newb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Everything Z-Wave!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

I can't say much for the SchlageLink system, but I do have the SchlageLink Deadbolt installed and instead of the subscription model, I'm using Vera from MiCasaVerde and it's working great. I also have Linksys camera's and a few other cams connected to the Vera system and it takes snapshots and stores them on the web when certain scenes are activated. In my opinion, its a much better model than the package that Schlage tries to deliver.

We did a review on the Vera system, as well as some modules including the SchlageLink deadbolt if you want to check it out at http://www.MyHomeServer.com

QUOTE (msheehan @ May 4 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Schlagelink system is a complete failure. Obviously, the thought of troubleshooting never occurred to them. I have three cameras at a second home, and they work -- at best -- 10 percent of the time. Otherwise, they are offline and completely useless. However, they're not as useless as the tech support specialists who cannot answer the most basic of questions. Schlage should take the whole concept, send it back to the lab, and bring it out when it's good and ready. Do not, under any circumstance, purchase this product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users